Quantity of Commercial produce required (kg/ha) = Rate of herbicide application (a.i kg/ha) X (100 ) / % active ingredient
Example : Rate of Atrazine (active ingredient) application per ha = 1.25 kg
Active ingredient in commercial product = 50 WP
Thus the quantity of commercial product of atrazine per ha = 1.25 X 100 /50 = 2.50 kg
Pre-emergence : Application of herbicide before crop and weed emergence within 48 hrs after sowing.
Post emergence : Application of herbicide after crop and weed emergence preferably when the weeds are in 3 to 4 leg stage.
Directed spray : Application of herbicide by directing the spray nozzle on weed only.
- Read the herbicide label carefully and follow the direction on the label.
- Check the sprayer before starting spray. It should be working properly.
- Use only Flat fan or Evan spray nozzle.
- Clean the sprayer with clean water before and after spraying.
- Calculate the amount of commercial products required for area to be sprayed.
- Mix the herbicide in small quantity (1-2 litres) or water first and then make the required volume with water (600-750 L/ha).
- Divide the field to be sprayed into parts i.e. one bigha land may be divided into four parts of 200 sqm. each and spray 12-15 litres of herbicide solution in each part. This will ensure uniform spray in whole area.
- Do not spray herbicide on windy and rainy days.
- Judge the stage of crop and weeds in case of post-emergence application.
- Store the herbicide in labelled containers and way from food material and children.