- What is proximate composition of edible fish?
Statistic Calculated Moisture Protein Oil
(%age)(%age) (%age) (%age) (%age) (%age)
Average---- 74.8 19 51.2
No other liner can describe better about the taste of fish
“Give a man a fish, he will eat it for a day
teach him how to fish & he will eat through his life”
The best part about fish is that we can raise them in small ponds as well as big ponds kuhl, channel which are generally found in village but fish can also be raised by constructing earlier ponds in Agriculture farms or by the construction of exclusive fish farms.
- How knowledge of basic fish farming will help you?
The basic fish farming may be summed up as character of water, availability of fish seed of desirable species of fish, control of fish enemies and marketing of fish produced from your ponds.
- What are the main characteristics of culturable fish?
- Should grow fast easy to breed;
- Preferably herbivorous compatible with other species;
- Should have consumer preference.
- What required for profitable fish farming?
Getting profits from fish farming depends on complete understanding the principles that govern the growth and survival of fish.
- Where from you can have this understanding?
To provide this understanding 10 days course in fish farming are been conducted by Fish farmers Development Agency, Bilaspur & Kangra, syllabus can be obtained free of cost by writing to any office of the department’s situated in different parts of the state.
- How can you find out whether or not your soil will hold water for a pond?
In selecting a site for the pond you should also be sure that the site will hold water. Some are too porous or will need special treatment in order to hold water. If possible before starting to construct the pond, consult Fisheries expert to check the area and the soil.
- What is a good size and shape for a carp pond?
After selection of the site for the pond with a good water supply, you can start digging. The size and shape of the pond should range between 0.1 hectare to 0.8 hectares in rectangular shape will be a good size pond. In case of running water unit the size is 30X1.5X1.2m.
- How deep should a carp pond be?
The water should be 2 mtr deep and one end and 1 ½ meter deep at the shallow end.
- What can be done to prevent heavy rains from flooding the pond and breaking the dam?
If the pond is built in a place where it collects too much water in times of heavy rains, a wide ditch should be dug at one side of the Bank to carry away the extra water, when it rains hard, the extra water will run through the side spillway rather than break the sides of the pond.
Kinds of fishes suitable for farming:
- Mirror carp/Rohu/Silver carp/ Catla catla/Mirgla etc for warm district , trout for Coldwater district
- How does raising of fish in farm pond benefits your family?
In one-hectare ponds, one can harvest 5,000 kgs. of fish proper care, feeding and manuring is timely ensured. It can provide fish for the family and extra for the market as cash crop.
- What can the water in fishpond are used besides fish farming?
If there is a good source of water, fishpond can be used as a reservoir for irrigating Agriculture fields.
- Are there any places where a fish pond should not be constructed?
Another problem is that floods may wash away the banks. To avoid this you should not construct a pond in a gully where heavy floods occur. Large gully would not be good place for the construction of a pond.
- Why should we put fences around our ponds?
The pond should be fenced to keep out cattle. Cattle will break down the banks of the fish pond. There should be a Pacca cattle ramp for the entry and exist of the cattle. This is very important to prevent the damage of bunds, which may also cause easy entry of rainwater during heavy downpour.
- How long should carp be stocked in a pond before one starts to fish them out?
If you construct good ponds and manage them well. Carp will be big enough and so you can start fishing them out within about a period of two years from first stocking and thereafter every year by the replenishing the stock simultaneously. The family will have good Nutritious Food to eat and surplus can be sold for profit.
- From where one can get fish seed for fish farms:
Seed of Indian Major Carps & Mirror carps is available at State’s fish farms Ghagus (Bilaspur) Alsu (Mandi) Kangra (Kangra) & Sultanpur (Chamba) during June to August every year. Where in case of trout availability is during May to June at State’s trout fish farms Patlikuhl (Kullu) Barot (Mandi) Nagni (Kullu) Holi (Chamba) & Sangla (Kinnaur).
To whom to contact for further information and TRAINING NEEDS you are free to contact:
- Director-cum-Warden of Fisheries Directorate of Fisheries, Bilaspur- Ph. 01978-224068.
- Deputy Director of Fisheries Directorate of Fisheries, Bilaspur- Ph. 01978-223212.
- Chief Executive Officer, Fish Farmer Development Agency, Solan & Palampur.
- Assistant Director of Fisheries, Bilaspur, Chamba & Mandi for Carp Seed
- Deputy Director of Fisheries, Patlikuhal, Assistant Director of Fisheries, Mandi, Shimla & Chamba for Trout Fish Seed
- Senior Fisheries Officer, Nahan, Hamirpur
Care feeding & Management:
- How should water look in a pond for fish?
Water for growing fish should not be clear and transparent. It should be greenish in colour. The green colour means that the water has lots of small plants called Algae, which provide food for the fish. (Applied only for carp farming).
- What does the colour in fish pond water means?
The colour of water is indicator whether the pond has enough fish food in the pond or not. So the colour of the water is very vital important factor to make a start in the fish culture.
- What can be used to fertilize a fish pond to make the water greenish?
Ponds need to be fertilized just as we fertilize out fields and gardens. Any kind of animal manure makes good fertilizer.
- How do you fertilize a pond with cow manure?
Cow manure should be put in the pond in a burlap sack. The Nitrogen will be dissolved by the water, and will help the green algae to grow.
Lab to pond service:
- How much chemical fertilizer should be thrown into a small pond to fetilize it?
Chemical fertilizer with lots of Nitrogen is also good. Only a few handfuls are needed for a small pond.
- If the soil is acidic, what must be done to a fish pond?
In some areas, where soils are acidic, lime must be added. The lime can be spread on the bottom of the pond, or it can be thrown into the water.
- What causes a green scum on the surface of a fertilize fish pond?
In a fertile pond, the water may have a green scum on top. The fish like to eat the green scum, which consists of many small plants. It indicates that the pond is ready for planting fish seed.
- What kinds of fishes are the best for stocking in ponds?
Catla, Rohu, Mirgal, Mirror carp, Silver Carp, grass carp and trout are the best kinds of fish for stocking in ponds/ raceways. These all kinds can grow fastly in a pond without competing with each other in consuming food of the pond.